A quick and easy version of the classic Italian dish. Tastes great, no matter how simple. A firm family favourite loved by one of our youngest customers and budding chef, Lucy.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250g beef mince from The Dorking Butchery
- 250g pork mince from The Dorking Butchery
- 100g diced bacon lardons from The Dorking Butchery
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400ml beef or chicken stock (either fresh or made from a stock cube)
- 400g dried spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan, to sprinkle on top
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Small handful of fresh basil/parsley, finely chopped
- Heat up a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add a tablespoon full of the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the beef mince with a small pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the mince until it’s dark brown all over and cooked through. Place the mince in a bowl on the side.
- Add the bacon lardons to the same pan and cook on a medium heat for a couple minutes, then add the finely chopped onions. Fry for a further 6-7 minutes on a medium heat until the onions are translucent and soft. Place in the bowl with the mince.
- Add the chopped garlic, grated carrot, green pepper, cooked mince, onions, lardons and the meat juices into the saucepan. Finally, add the chopped tomatoes, and stir well.
- Pour in the beef stock, then simmer gently for approximately 45 minutes, until you have a nice thick sauce. Taste a little and add salt or pepper if required. Lastly, add the fresh herbs to the mix.
- When the bolognese is ready, cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions. Drain the pasta, mix in with the bolognese and serve with grated parmesan on top – perfect!