500g diced beef
200g diced smoked streaky bacon
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
1 leek, diced
A good squeeze of tomato puree
1 can Guinness
2 sheets short crust pastry
A splash of Worcester sauce
1 centre cut beef marrow bone
- Soak the marrow bone in cold water for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Add all of the diced veg to a slow cooker or casserole dish.
- Sear off the beef and streaky bacon until brown and add to the vegetables in the slow cooker/casserole dish.
- Season with salt and pepper, Worcester sauce and tomato puree.
- Pour over the Guinness until the mixture is covered.
- Simmer on a low heat until the liquid has reduced slightly, you can also use gravy granules to thicken the liquid.
- Grease a pie dish with butter, then layer the base with one sheet of pastry and place the soaked marrow bone in the centre.
- Spoon the beef pie mixture around the marrow bone and into the pie dish.
- In the other pastry sheet mark a ‘ x ‘ in the centre, this will be where the marrow bone sticks through.
- Place the second sheet over the top and allow the bone to escape through the ‘ x ‘ – then crimp the two layers together.
- Glaze the top of the pie with egg yolk and bake in the oven for 35mins @ 180 degrees C or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve with mash, seasonal veg and a pint of Guinness : )