This summer, Great Britain set an Olympic record by winning 67 medals at the Rio 2016 Games, two more than they managed at London 2012. Famous for barbecued meats and caipirinhas, Brazil is home to some of the best party food and drink in the world. Celebrate good times with this rio-inspired Brazilian spicy malagueta pork with zingy mango slaw.
- 500g pork tenderloin, sliced into 1 inch rounds
- 2 small red chilies
- 1 green jalapeno chili
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 mango
- ½ red pepper
- ¼ red onion
- Small handful of fresh mint
- Small handful of fresh coriander
- Large knob of butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
For the Spicy Malagueta Marinade:
- Roast the red chilies, garlic cloves + 4 tbsp. olive oil @ 180C for 10 minutes
- Transfer to a blender, adding 2 tbsp. lemon juice, tomato paste, sugar, sweet paprika + a pinch of salt, pepper, dried oregano + chili flakes
For the Zingy Mango Slaw:
- Dice up 1 mango, ½ red pepper, ¼ red onion, 1 fresh jalapeño chili + a small bunch of coriander/mint.
- For the dressing, mix 2 tbsp. lime juice with 1 tbsp. lemon juice
For the Pork Medallions:
- Marinate the pork in the spicy marinade for at least 2 hours (the longer the better!)
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and, when the butter is foaming, add the medallions to the pan and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side, placing the pork in a roasting dish.
- Heat the oven to 180C, roast for 8 to 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for a few minutes prior to serving.
- Serve with baby gem lettuce and the zingy mango slaw.