Nothing quite says autumn like the arrival of seasonal game. From venison and partridge to rabbit and pigeon, the shelves are fully stocked with fresh and tender, wild-reared meat to indulge in. This venison burger recipe is a surefire crowd-pleaser and combines flavoursome venison with a creamy blue cheese sauce, topped with a warming mulled red cabbage slaw.
- 750g minced venison
- 4 tsp Reuben’s Winter Rub (available in store at The Dorking Butchery)
- ½ red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- Squeeze of orange
- 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 75g blue cheese (we love Norbury Blue, Surrey’s only cheesemaker!)
- 100ml sour cream
- Small handful fresh chives, finely sliced
- 4 burger buns
For the red cabbage slaw:
- Mix the mixed spice, brown sugar, orange and red wine vinegar in a small bowl
- Toss with the finely sliced red cabbage.
For the blue cheese sauce:
- Crumble the blue cheese with your hands, then mix in the sour cream and chives.
For the burger patties:
- Mix the venison and Reuben’s Winter Rub in a bowl and divide the mixture into 4 burgers, shaping them with your hands.
- Fry the patties in a hot pan for 4-5 minutes on each side (so that they’re still a little pink inside). Cook for longer if desired.
Pop the venison burger in a burger bun, top with the red cabbage slaw and the blue cheese, and enjoy!