This pork belly recipe by The Salt Box is an incredibly simple way to make a porchetta style BBQ pork sandwich, by introducing some of the well known porchetta flavours into the spice mix. You can make more than you need of this spice rub as it will keep well in an airtight container, just leave out the orange zest – otherwise it will make the mix wet when stored for longer periods.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
For the Pork:
750g pork belly, cut into thin strips rind removed
2 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp chilli flakes
1⁄2 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp dried sage
1t sp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
3 tbsp Maldon sea salt
1 tsp orange zest
For the Roast Garlic Mayo:
1 head of garlic
1 lemon zest and juice
For the Pink Pickled Onions:
1 red onion
100ml red wine vinegar
1⁄2 tsp mustard seeds
1⁄4 tsp chilli flakes
1⁄2 tsp fennel seeds
Juice of 2 limes
4 sourdough rolls
Small bag of pork scratchings
Small bag of crisp salad leaves
For the pork:
- To start with, make the spice rub. Toast the fennel and chilli flakes in a dry pan, then once toasted allow to cool before grinding. Add the rest of the spice ingredients and lightly grind with a pestle and mortar.
- Sprinkle the belly strips with the spice rub liberally all over and set aside for an hour to take on all the flavours.
For the mayo:
- Light your bbq and start to slowly roast your garlic on the edge of the heat until cooked through. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Finely grate the lemon zest and place in a bowl.
- Halve the lemon and place cut side down over the grill, allowing it to caramelise over the coals. Cool slightly then squeeze the juice out of the lemons and add to the zest and the mayo.
- Gently squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins and mash with a fork. Add the garlic to the mayo mix and place in the fridge until needed.
For the pickled onion:
- Peel and slice the onion as finely as possible. Place the sliced onions in a non metallic bowl.
- Juice the limes and mix with the red wine vinegar, mustard seeds, chilli flakes, peppercorns and fennel seeds.
- Cover the onions with the pickle mix and stir to coat. Cover the onions and set aside for at least 10 minutes or until they have taken on a vibrant pink colour.
- Place the pork belly strips directly onto the grill and cook on a high heat until the fat renders and becomes crispy. Turn after 2-3 minutes and do the same on the other side.
- Whilst the pork is cooking slice the sourdough rolls, drizzle with olive oil and warm over the grill.
- Once the pork is cooked allow to rest for a minute or two.
- Now it’s time to assemble your buns. Slather each side with the garlic mayo, topped with a few salad leaves, 2-3 pork belly strips, a small handful of pink pickled onion and finally top with little nuggets of pork scratchings.
For other recipes using pork, check out our Pork Recipes here.
Check out this Persian Lamb Stew recipe by The Salt Box here.
To find out more about The Salt Box, click here.