A delicious and heart-warming slow cooked stew by one of our fabulous customers, Lisa. The lamb and orzo are cooked in the same pot making this dish super easy with little washing up to do afterwards!
Ingredients (Serves 3)
Half a shoulder of lamb from your favourite butchers (the one, the only, Dorking Butchery)
1x large onion, chopped
2x cloves of garlic, chopped
1x large carrot, cut into large-ish chunks
1x tin tomatoes
3/4 – 1 pint of chicken or veg stock
Handful of herbs – rosemary or oregano
150g Orzo pasta
- Sear the lamb all over in a large casserole pan – once done remove from the pan.
- Sweat the onions, carrots & garlic for a few minutes in the pan (if you’re in a rush, you can skip these stages and just bung it all straight in the casserole dish – but these steps do add flavour!)
- Return the lamb to the pan with the veg and add the tinned tomatoes, herbs and stock.
- Put a lid on the casserole and pop it in the oven at Gas Mark 3 / Electric 170 / Fan 160 for 2.5 – 3 hours.
20 minutes before you want to eat, stir in 150g of orzo pasta and check the seasoning – add to taste. You need enough liquid in the pan to just cover the orzo so you might need to add some more at this point, if so just splash in some leftover stock or just water.
- When ready take out the oven and shred the lamb in the casserole, removing any bones.
- Serve with a bright green veg of your choice to liven up the plate and enjoy!